3.11.2009

Poem for Sunny

There was never a time in my life I didn’t know you
Now you are gone and don’t know what to do

I remembered all of our days when we were both kids
Playing non-stop was all that we did
Learning everything together, to dance and to twirl
Growing up without a care in the world

You were very well known for your long glowing locks
That would get tangled in swing chains at the park down the block
You had a smile that brightened a room with no light
When we argued about things you were usually right

The sound of music brightened your day
If it was a song someone loved you knew right away
We would go and see movies and laugh till we cried
Then go through our neighborhoods and walk side by side

We’d talk and we’d talk, about what I don’t know
All I cared was you listened and helped me to grow
Into the woman I now am and you’re no longer here
But as long as I remember you you’ll always be near

1 comment: